Google earth provides satellite imagery and maps of our planet. It can be downloaded for free at http://earth.google.com.
A new feature makes it possible to not only display turn by turn directions but to actually view satellite imagery of the route as if you were flying above it in a helicopter. Wow!
1. Download and open Google Earth.
2. Click the Directions tab of the Sidebar on the left side of the screen. If it isn't visible, press Ctrl + Alt + B.
3. Type a starting address in the From box and an ending address in the To box.
4. Click the Begin Search icon. It looks like a magnifying glass.
5. Click the Play Tour icon. It looks like the same kind of right pointing triangle you have on your CD player.
6. Enjoy the tour!